craving cupcakes!

>> Wednesday 15 July 2009

On twitter, I follow a fair few cake bakers... I'm so in awe of how amazing they are!!

meet... @amylane, @fashioncake and @mumswhobake

I'm so jealous of their skills! and over the last couple of days, I've been reading their blogs, Surfing mumswhobake's website and desperately wanting to eat cupcakes!!

now, I do bake cakes... but the one's I've seen are amazing, The Birthday cakes that @fashioncake made, are so so so cute! it was her son's 2nd birthday and she made him the most wonderful Iggle Piggle cake! Look...


amazing isn't it! So talented... I wish I lived closer to her, I would be buying cakes for all my kids birthdays!... I can't wait for her to find out if she can mail order cakes... I'm going to be her 1st customer if she can!!!

@amylane was twittering yesterday about her cakes... and her classes she's been going to, She'd blogged about it all too, So off i went to be nosey.. and OMGosh.. what did i find.... amazingly crafted flowers, cupcakes and fabulous cake toppers.. Oh.... how jealous am i! Then, also on twitter, she added a picture through twitpic of a birthday cake she'd made for a friend's son!..

Here i was sat in front of my laptop.. wanting to lick my screen.... I so needed to eat that cake... its amazing... Look.....

then she put another picture on twitter... this was torture... look.....


I am desperately in need of a sugar/cupcake fix now... how amazing are all these cakes...

Then only a few moments later, @Mumswhobake put up a tweet about her Xmas stock shopping and a new cutter/puncher she'd been using to make snowflakes for her Christmas cakes... and Look.....



how super are these!!!! I have to buy this cutter to make my own springy Christmas snowflake cake!!! I'm in love!

But... all this cake loving and wanting made me soooo hungry for some of my own and I didn't have any ingredients in the house... so couldn't satisfy my want... I had nothing sugary in the house... so had crackers & butter! bummer huh!

So.. today's plan of action was, whilst taking boys to their Samurai class, I would buy the ingredients to make my own cupcakes.. Not on a scale like these wonderful lady bakers.. but hopefully something special enough to satisfy my cake needs!!

I'm also suffering from major PMT this week! I'm so stressed! so I thought I might incorporate some chocolate into the cakes, normally I use bournville cocoa powder, but I wanted something a bit more solid.. so looking along the candy aisle in the supermarket, I saw buy 2 for £2.50 big bars of cadbury bars.. (the big ones!!!) and thought.. ooh.... Crunchie & Caramel... how yummy would it be to put a chunk of each in the middle of the cakes... So i did!!!

Also, I only have a red food dye, but didn't want bright pink butter icing on the top! the boys have an aversion to pink! so.. i made half of it pink and left half white.. and put it in the piping bag to make it mix up!!!!

Here's my results... Now be warned.. they are no where near as fab as the wonderful twitter bakers... but they tasted yummy.. and the choc chunks worked out great!! they sank.. but still worked out well!

the buttercream did turn out a bit too pink so, I thought i'd better put some of our left over black holographic edible glitter on them!.. they look fab don't they!! Wish i had more colours of the glitter though.. maybe some red, gold, pink, purple, green, orange... Oh heck.. i wish i had ALL edible glitter available!




14 comments:

Kitschy Coo 15 July 2009 at 12:49  

Mmmmm, makes me hungry! I'm determined that sometime in my life I'm going to have @amylane's mint choc cupcake!

Natalie 15 July 2009 at 12:58  

My tummy is maaaaaaorly rumbling and I'm eating my dinner. What fabulous cakes! I love baking fairy cakes and decorating them - I recently bought some silicone cases from Habitat for them to sit pretty in too :-)

Natalie 15 July 2009 at 12:58  

Feck, I meant majorly!

san 15 July 2009 at 15:28  

Now that's just not fair, you can't eat photos. I want a giant cupcake all to myself now!!

Vicki Hoskins 16 July 2009 at 01:33  

The black glitter looks great. After your recommendation I ordered some of that in too for our shop...so thanks for that!! It really jazzes up the cakes though doesn't it!
the ruffly icing looks fab! can i put one of your piccies into our gallery?
Vicki @ mums who bake

Anonymous,  16 July 2009 at 08:55  

Thank you for your lovely comments, glad you like my cakes :) Your cakes are lovely, that icing looks fantastic and I love the glitter. Might have to get some of that!

Soph4Soph 16 July 2009 at 10:30  

kitschy Coo - Oh i know... I have to taste them as well.. sound so yummy!! LOL

Natalie - Oh, wow! Habitat ones! (shh.. but mine came from the £1 store!!) I bet the Habitat ones look amazing! they have a sale on right now too.. I so need some spare money!

sandy Calico - Oh yes, its next on my list of cake things to buy!! I WILL make giant cupcakes! lol

Vicki Hoskins - Oh wow! YAY for getting the black glitter! I thought it would be the most suitable for my 8yo son's Birthday! Least girly version any way!! lol
I would love my pic to be added to your gallery, should I email you some over? Thank you!! :-)

Amylane - Your so welcome! your cakes rock! and I so have to try your mint/choc cakes out!! do you have a recipe i could use?? (promise to not share wth anyone!! xx)
Yes.. do buy glitter, its amazing how funky a cake can be transformed when you add a bit of glitter! :-)

Vicki 17 July 2009 at 09:08  

yes, please....my email is vicki (at) mumswhobake.co.uk

I'll add the piccies over the weekend

Vicki

Fashion cake 17 July 2009 at 12:43  

thanks for the lovely comments and you know what, when i do start sending cakes by post, yours will be the first one LOL!!!! xx

Unknown 17 July 2009 at 15:56  

Those cakes look so yum, yours look really nice. Love the glitter! x

Sian To 24 July 2009 at 09:42  

Geez - those baking skills make me feel so inadequate!

Unknown 25 July 2009 at 14:32  

Tagged you over at mine xx

Dorset Dispatches 29 July 2009 at 10:44  

These look amazing. My blog posts are all about how my baking has tragically gone to pot since moving out here. Looking at these pictures makes me want to go and cry as I can't get anything like this here at all! And I WANT ONE! (might have spent too long in the company of toddlers today - ah hem - apologies for the mild tantrum...)

Tara@Sticky Fingers 29 July 2009 at 14:26  

Hey there, just visiting after seeing your name on the British Mummy Bloggers live chat today so thought I would check you out!
And what do I find? Cakes, cakes, cakes and cakes. There couldn't have been a better introduction to your blog! Well, maybe if you had a picture of Hugh Jackman with one of your cakes . . . but I digress . . .

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP